Michael R. Williams is a trial lawyer with twenty years of experience in all aspects of complex business litigation. His main practice areas include insurance coverage and bad faith, corporate governance and partnership disputes, contract and business tort claims, trade secret misappropriation, environmental, and employment litigation. He has substantial first-chair experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in trials, arbitrations, and appeals.
Mike’s clients include Fortune 500 companies, technology start-ups, closely-held businesses, and high net-worth individuals. Mike is proud to serve as the lawyer of choice for many of his colleagues in the legal profession, who rely on his judgment and experience when they find themselves embroiled in legal disputes.
Beyond his courtroom success, Mike’s best results often occur behind the scenes, where his strategic advice and counsel allow his clients to avoid litigation altogether or settle on favorable terms before a lawsuit is filed.
Mike’s outstanding results for his clients have earned him recognition as one of Orange County’s top attorneys in OC Metro Magazine and a perfect 10 out of 10 rating from Avvo.com. He was named as a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” in 2005, 2006, and 2011, and was selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers® list in 2019.
Throughout his career, Mike has played key leadership roles in the Orange County legal community, including serving as President of the Public Law Center’s Board of Directors in 2012 and 2013 and Chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Business Litigation Section in 2007. Mike is presently a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Orange County Bar Foundation, and previously served on the board of the UC Davis School of Law Alumni Association.
Mike graduated in the top 5% of his class from the University of California, Davis School of Law, where he was an Executive Editor of the UC Davis Law Review. Mike received his undergraduate degree in political science from California State University Northridge.
- A $280 million settlement in a qui tam action under the False Claims Act, the second largest settlement ever in a non-intervened qui tam case, on behalf of a whistleblower in the pharmaceuticals industry.
- A $55 million judgment following a six-week trial in a fraud and breach of contract action on behalf of entrepreneurs in the automotive accessories industry.
- Dismissal on the eve of trial of a $600 million legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and RICO case on behalf of a prominent estate planning attorney.
- More than $10 million in recoveries in a series of specialized insurance coverage cases on behalf of leading technology companies.
- Dismissal of multi-million dollar breach of contract claims on behalf of a high-profile Orange County technology entrepreneur, followed by an attorneys’ fee award of nearly $1 million against the plaintiff.
- Dismissal of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and RICO claims on behalf of two of Orange County’s leading businessmen and philanthropists under California’s Anti-SLAPP statute.
- A judgment of nearly $6 million on behalf of a federal agency in a case stemming from the 2008 economic collapse.
- Dismissal on summary judgment of state and federal anti-trust claims on behalf of a generic drug manufacturer.
- Named one of Orange County’s top attorneys in OC Metro Magazine
- Named as a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” for the years 2005, 2006, and 2011
- Selected to the Super Lawyers® list for 2019
- Perfect 10 out of 10 rating from Avvo.com